Founded in 1978, Globe has established a great reputation for professional service and quality teaching in a friendly and caring atmosphere. We offer a wide range of year-round programmes for adults...
Study in Exeter, a historic cathedral city offering arts, culture, shopping, nightlife and more.
Exeter is the county town of Devon and is regularly voted one of the top three cities in the UK for quality of life. If you studying English here, you’ll soon see why. It has a welcoming atmosphere, beautiful and elegant architecture, plenty of opportunities for cycling, water sports and other activities and a thriving culinary, music and nightlife scene. The city is also steeped in more than 2,000 years of history.
Exeter’s size – it has a population of about 125,000 - means that all of the main attractions are within close walking distance of each other. And there is plenty to explore inside and outside this university city.
Learning English in Exeter, there’s lots to see and do
Exeter offers heritage and culture, sports, food, drink, nature and gardens, leisure, shopping and activities of all kinds:
- You can explore on foot, or rent a canoe or a bike from Saddles and Paddles, located on King’s Wharf. There are several cycle paths on either side of the River Exe.
- Check out the beautiful cathedral, which was constructed in the Decorated Gothic style. This gorgeous building is one of the top attractions in Exeter and is known for having the longest unbroken stone beam within any building on earth.
- On a sunny summer day, many people can be found relaxing and picnicking in the Cathedral Green.
- Take a walk down the historic quayside and see the original 17th century Custom House, which was recently renovated as a headquarters for the city’s archaeological service.
- If you like historic architecture, there are many medieval churches in the city centre, including St. Mary Steps, St. Mary Arches, St. Martin’s, St. Petrock’s and St. Stephens.
- For more archaeological excitement, take a trip to the Jurassic Coast, which stretches from East Devon to east Dorset and is home to many exciting finds. One-hour tours can be arranged to explore the underground passages beneath the city – an old medieval, out-of-use water system.
- If you are a sports lover, you will have plenty of great sports events to entertain you, such as Exeter City Football Club and Exeter Chiefs Rugby Union Club matches.
For a small city, Exeter has a lively nightlife too - around 20,000 students study at Exeter University, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities. Exeter has pubs and clubs, wine bars and restaurants, live music and entertainment.
A great day trip from Exeter is Crealy Great Adventure Park, which has thrilling rides and slides. The nearby Devonshire countryside is considered to be some of the most beautiful in the UK, and many gorgeous locations in the area can be reached easily. Among these are Exmoor and Dartmoor National Parks, the beaches at Exmouth and the elegant seaside resort of Torquay. You can also visit the scenic towns of Lyme Regis to the east, and Totnes and Dartmouth to the south.